"I want to be a leader in creating a place where each of you becomes more keenly aware of the possililities in yourself, the people around you, and the power of knowledge. In this place, I want us to find together a good way to live."
-Fulfilling the Promise, page 26

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Fulfilling the Promise, Chapters 3 & 4

I loved chapter three. So many of our classes teach us methods to be better teachers, chapter three reminded me of why I want to be a teacher to start with. I believe the paragraph on page 26 sums it up, " I want to be a leader in creating a place where each of you becomes more keenly aware of the possibilities in yourself, the people around you, and the power of knowledge. In this place, I want us to find together a good way to live." This quote is so stirring, so motivating. Why though? Because of it's perfect use of words. Leader, create, possibilities, power, together, good. Does anyone in this world remember good things? Think how powerful this world would be if this single quote was every teacher's creed. I want to lead, not dictate. I want to create, not destroy. I want you to see your possibilities, not everything that might hold you back. I want you to feel and be powerful, not weak and fearful. There is still good in this world and together we can find it. When we work for ourselves we amount to nothing. There is so much power in unity. If every teacher believed in every student, and every student felt the belief from their teacher we wouldn't need state mandates and no child left behind, because every child would automatically succeed.
Chapter four gave many good insights in how to put this into practice. I loved the real world examples. I can always relate when I know that there is someone behind this theory who is doing it and it works for them. I liked the section that talked about validating students based on their achievements, and how that fosters a safe and manageable classroom environment. I will admit after reading chapter 3, I was slightly disillusioned with chapter 4, and had trouble coming up with the same amount of excitement and insights.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I guess the depth you showed for chapter 3 can make up for your disillusionment with chapter four. But, you may want that information when you are actually SETTING UP your own classroom! I love how you put that stirring quote at the top of your blog! 4 points

    ReplyDelete