"I want to be a leader in creating a place where each of you becomes more keenly aware of the possililities in yourself, the people around you, and the power of knowledge. In this place, I want us to find together a good way to live."
-Fulfilling the Promise, page 26

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Choices That Appeal To You

I wasn't sure exactly what the topic meant for this entry. I don't know what choices it was referring to, but I will write about the Morning Meeting Packet.
I was amazed at the results that came back from the Morning Meeting research. Having higher scores in every subcategory than any other class is amazing. But the result that was really flooring was that reading scores were higher from her class even though she didn't teach reading to her students.
Everyone feels like they work better when they're happy, but I don't know if anyone knew it was a fact. These children loved Morning Meetings, and as a result felt good all day long, and put forth their best efforts on their assignments.
A feeling of community and acceptance is so important to everyone, no matter where you go, or what situation you're in.
When I saw that the Morning Meeting took anywhere from 15-30 minutes, I cringed. There is already so much that teachers have to cram into one day! But as the research showed, that time was paid back tenfold from the test scores to the behavior problems.
It seems like a no brainer that a Morning Meeting is the way to start every school day!

1 comment:

  1. This was a good response to the morning meeting material... I wanted to know what choices you would make in important points you wanted to remember. You have 3 points for this, because you also needed to respond to the Tomlinson pages. Good job on the morning meeting readings.

    ReplyDelete